How to Clean an Air Conditioner at Home by Your Own
It’s a challenge to find good quality and long-lasting air conditioner.
If you have Air Conditioner at your home, there are several conditions like HVAC (heating, ventilation, and Air Conditioning) systems that need to be maintained.
Among them, cleaning air conditioning is the toughest job, especially if you do not know how to Clean an Air Conditioner.
Gaining proper knowledge about the difference between inverter and non inverter air conditioner ensures that equipment continues to provide cooling or heating needs during winter or summer.
A dirty AC can disrupt your midsummer chill out. Simultaneously a clean AC will make you feel like winter in between a summer afternoon.
Whereas modern Air conditioner comes with self-cleaning functions. But nothing can beat proper hands-on cleaning.
However, the ceiling fan cleaning hack is different from cleaning AC. So, make yourself aware of the difference between AC before cleaning them yourself.
1 Why cleaning an Air Conditioner is a must?
- To keep your system running at top energy efficiency
- Kills the bacteria and viruses which builds up over time on fins, coils and filters.
- Maintaining air conditioner to extend its life
Here are a few simple steps that will guide you to understand and feel confident about how to Clean and make air conditioner at home from scratch.
2 Clean the Condenser Coils
- It’s the first step from where you can start cleaning. Turn off all power running to your Air Conditioner. Switch off all plugged in and turn it off at the circuit board. In here, you’ll be dealing with a significant outdoor component that runs on your system.
- To clean this condenser coils, you need to remove the outer casing. Try using a screwdriver to remove it. Once it removed, try eliminating other components obstructing access to the coil and locate the coils.
- Brush the surface dirt and grime using a stiff brush. Remove trapped or dirt cake by applying a suitable cleaning agent. Clean and rise through the water, spray water inside for 10-15 minutes. Also, have an eye on the coil fins, if appeared damaged or bent, comb them flat and straight with a fin comb. You can purchase from hardware or any specialist conditioning stores.
3 Clean the Filters after Removing them Safely
- The next step is to go to the indoor units. You can remove it by flipping up the front grill on the inside air conditioner unit. Remove large mesh or two smaller panels. Filter panels are the unit’s primary line of defense against various airborne. It tends to get dirty and clogged very soon and can get cleaned easily.
- To get cleaned, you need to take the filter outside and carefully dislodge all the dust inside it. One can vacuum off the remaining nastiness inside your home after dislodging dirt and grime.
4 Clean the Fan Coil of indoor box
- It’s the indoor part that deals with blowing the cold air from the unit. To access the unit’s Fan coil, you need to remove the indoor unit chassis which requires screwdriver usage. After obtaining the coil, simply clean it with suitable cleaning solutions and leave it for a few minutes. Rinse it with warm water.
- Do not worry about the mess, and you can clean the fan coil till the runoff is completely clear. Be careful about not flooding the drip pan. Let it drain off before rinsing more. Allow the fan to dry completely and then put the chassis back on.
If the bower filter isn’t working well or it has collected a lot of impurities, then it becomes crucial to replace it every month. As this will keep the improve the quality of air in your home.
5 Run the system to Test
- The next step is to return everything where it belongs, don’t forget to place each unit at its position. Once every part of the air conditioning is a dry, plugin and switch on to check if the cleaning worked well.
- After you switch on, the air should smell good and should give you cleaner air. You’ll realize that the messy thing will later give you fresh breath. If you still face the problem of the things didn’t work well, call the technician team and get reliable air conditioning service team at your doorstep.
6 General Maintenance Tips
Similar to any machine or car, it is essential to take a few preventive steps to ensure that your air conditioner works at high efficiency. Taking precautionary measure can save more on power bills and keep you and your family health happy. Here we have a few maintenance tips you can follow:
- Spray an anti-bacterial solution when you’re cleaning the components. The components can be Filters, Fan Coil, Drip Pan and another Drip tube. The bacteria spray mould inside the system will prevent your family from inhaling bad air with nasties.
- Your next job is to do a brief cleaning of the unit’s drop channels. Pipe cleaning will work well if you’re trying to remove clogging. It will remove a unit’s capacity to dehumidify the air which passes through it.
- The last thing you can do is give the exterior casing with all components with a quite wipe down. It won’t make a significant difference but will offer high efficiency if you want a high-quality air.
7 Hire a Professional Cleaning Service
Self-cleaning may not be a cup of tea for all or not a fun task for a few of them. If you don’t have time for cleaning your AC, then consider hiring a service technician. The expert would go for HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) service like:
- Undertake cleaning service like sealing leaky ducks if you needed a ducted system
- Recommend further servicing
- Recommend new spare parts and replace faultily
- Inform the team of the ideal air conditioner position and operate it efficiently
- Take all safety measures
Conclusion: Cleaning your air conditioner comes under the chore, and it’s definitely worth the effort that you put in. Not only cleaning the AC will give healthier air, but it will also reduce the electricity bills. Other than this, we don’t have any good reason to clean the AC. Even cleaning twice, a year will give better reap of benefits.