How to Make Matar Paneer? The Ultimate Recipe
Matar Paneer, one of the most beloved North Indian dishes, combines tender paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and succulent green peas in a rich tomato gravy. Its distinct flavour, enhanced by aromatic spices, makes it a favourite in households and restaurants alike. If you’ve been pondering over the question, how to make matar paneer? then you’re in the right place! In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve deep into the recipe for matar paneer, providing tips and tricks that ensure your dish tastes just like it does in your favourite Indian restaurant.
1 Why Try the Matar Paneer Recipe at Home?
Before diving into the easy matar paneer recipe, it’s worth understanding why you should consider cooking it at home. Preparing homemade matar paneer gives you:
- Control over the ingredients, allowing you to adjust the spice levels, eliminate preservatives, and ensure the freshness of the dish.
- The joy of a homemade meal that is both delicious and wholesome.
- A chance to tweak the matar paneer recipe according to your preferences, making it creamier or spicier as you desire.
2 The Charm of Matar Paneer
Before diving into the recipe for Matar Paneer, it’s essential to understand what makes this dish so loved. Matar Paneer is a delightful combination of soft paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and plump peas in a lusciously spiced tomato-based sauce. Its vibrant colour, aromatic spices, and rich flavours make it a hit at dinner tables worldwide.
3 List of Ingredients for making Matar Paneer
To create the magic of the Matar Paneer recipe, ensure you have the following ingredients on hand:
- Paneer (cottage cheese) – 250 grams
- Green peas (matar) – 1 cup (fresh or frozen)
- Tomatoes – 3, medium-sized
- Onions – 2, medium-sized
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Green chillies – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Fresh cream – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil or butter – 3 tbsp
- Fresh cilantro (coriander leaves) – for garnish
- Water – as required
4 How to Make Matar Paneer: Step by Step
- Prepare the Paneer: Start with the paneer. If you’re using store-bought paneer, ensure you soak it in hot water for 20 minutes. This makes it soft and spongy. If you’re using homemade paneer, you can skip this step.
- Sautéing the Basics: In a pan, heat oil or ghee. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Next, add bay leaf followed by finely chopped onions. Sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Adding Spices and Tomatoes: Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Sauté for a couple of minutes until the raw smell vanishes. Add in the chopped tomatoes followed by turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and coriander powder. Sauté till the tomatoes turn mushy and the oil starts separating from the masala.
- Incorporate the Stars of the Dish: Now, add green peas (matar) to the mixture. Cook for 5 minutes. Then, gently add paneer cubes. Stir gently ensuring the paneer does not break.
- Simmer: Add enough water to create a thick gravy consistency. Cover and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat. This is vital to the matar paneer recipe as it allows the paneer to soak in all the flavours.
- Final Touches: Sprinkle garam masala and salt as per taste. If you desire a richer gravy, add fresh cream and mix gently. Let it simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish and Serve: Turn off the heat. Garnish your matar paneer with freshly chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti, naan, or rice.
Your delectable Matar Paneer is now ready to be served!
5 Expert Tips for Perfect Matar Paneer Recipe
- Paneer Quality: The soul of the Matar Paneer recipe lies in the quality of the paneer. Fresh paneer can make all the difference. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can even make paneer at home.
- Spices: The easy Matar Paneer recipe shines when the spices are freshly ground. If possible, grind your coriander and cumin seeds. It adds a fresher and richer flavour.
- Fresh Cream: For a richer taste, you can add fresh cream. However, if you prefer a lighter version, you can skip this step.
- Serve Hot: The beauty of how to make Matar Paneer lies in serving it hot, with the paneer soft and the peas perfectly cooked.
6 Wrapping Up
Matar Paneer is more than just a dish; it’s an experience, a trip down memory lane for many, and a delightful introduction to Indian cuisine for others. With this easy Matar Paneer recipe, you are not just learning how to make a dish; you are embracing a culture, a tradition, and a legacy.
When you ponder on the recipe for Matar Paneer, remember that it’s not just about the
ingredients; it’s about the love and passion you pour into making it. So, the next time you find yourself asking, “How to make Matar Paneer?”, refer to this comprehensive guide and get cooking!
The aromatic blend of spices, the softness of paneer, and the sweetness of peas come together to form a culinary masterpiece that is Matar Paneer. This dish is sure to impress your guests and leave them asking for more. So, embrace the culinary artist in you and create this Indian delicacy with love and passion!